Saturday, June 14, 2008

1st Time Blogger!




(OK Amy...I'm finally doing it, this one is for you!)
I love reading my friend Amy's blogs, and she always tell me how much she loves to do it. So one day she sends me an email with this website and an account all set up for me and ready to go. She knows me well because I would have been totally overwhelmed at the thought of setting it up and would have thought about doing it...but never would have got around to it.

I guess what inspired me to start was my recent "Girls Weekend". A couple of good friends of mine (Lana & Tamara) have been going on a weekend trip with five other friends for almost 10 years now. They invited me to join them two years ago, and we just returned from our four day stay at the Retreat Cabins in Poplarville, Mississippi (our cabin is pictured above). It was awesome! There's a handful of quaint (and more importantly...clean) little cabins snuggled into over 100 acres of nature. I know what some people may think..."a weekend in a cabin...no cable...no phone (well, we did have our cell phones and if we leaned over the back porch at just the perfect angle we could get some reception)...no restaurants...no wireless...what are they thinking?!" I guess I forgot to mention the most important part...it's quiet and they offer in room massages! That sealed the deal for us. We have 13 children between us and one on the way. So quiet, relaxation is very rare in any of our lives. We all take turns cooking at least one meal and we all help clean up. It's funny to see everyone's style of cooking. For some, they open bag of donuts and pre-made bagels and serve them on paper plates, and for others (Deborah), it it a full 5 course meal with appetizers, soup...and some spectacular entree that is slaved over for hours. Either way, we all sit together at the table for what seems like hours. We don't have to cut anybody's food, nobody complains about what is served, nobody cries because someone is sitting in "their" chair. It's wonderful!

While having our adult dinner conversation one night, the topic turned to the massages we had all had. The first thing the the masseuse said to each of us once we were on the table was "relax and go to your happy place". As we shared our "happy places", the usual ones were the beach, in bed...etc. But my friend Lana said "at the dinner table with my family". I was floored (and felt a little guilty). She quickly added that most of the time it is NOT the best experience, but...there are day's when everyone is happy, everyone loves what is on their plate, and the conversation is priceless. (OK...now I feel guilty and a little jealous). But after thinking about it, I realize that we do have those moments, so I needed to start documenting them so I wouldn't forget them!

So...my goal for this blog, is to document the good things about my family. I can't promise that I won't throw in a couple of complaints here and there (my poor husband gets to hear most of those), but I'm going to try and keep it positive!

Thanks so much Amy! I'm sure you've been checking to see when I would start!

1 comment:

Bayou Belle said...

Yeah! Welcome to the blog world. You have a great family and yes you do need to note the good stuff and appreciate what gifts you have!